Students and their belongings must pass through the metal detector upon entrance to the building and are subject to routine search to ensure safety.
Students and their belongings may be subject to search if possession of contraband, school property or the personal property of others is suspected.
It is the policy of Hampton Academy that all students are required to submit to a search for contraband upon entering the school building, and/or during all school sponsored events, activities, and trips, on and off campus. No student may possess alcohol, controlled dangerous substances (CDS) or weapons on Hampton Academy property. A search may be deemed permissible when the measures adopted to conduct the search are reasonably related to the objectives of the search and are not excessively intrusive in consideration of the age and sex of the student.
It is Hampton Academy’s responsibility to protect the health and safety of its students and its staff.
When a student enters the school building for any purpose, the following shall occur:
- All students are required to go through the metal detector located at the main entrance of the building. If the student has a bag of any kind, the bag will be handed to a staff person so that it may be searched for contraband. Contraband will include, but not be limited to, cell phones, electronic devices, sharp objects, and weapons.
- If a student goes through the metal detector and the alarm is activated, the student shall be searched by a designated staff person, using a wand. A male staff person will search a male student and a female staff person will search a female student.
- In preparation for being searched with the wand, the student may be required to remove any head cover.
- If, during a search with the wand, the wand is activated, the student will be required to empty all of his/her pockets, remove shoes if necessary, and otherwise comply with the directions of the designated staff member.
- If a staff member has a reasonable suspicion during the search that a student is in possession of a controlled dangerous substance (CDS) or weapons which constitutes either a danger to another, a violation of law, or the rules of Hampton Academy, the following procedure will take effect:
- Student will be escorted to the Director’s office or his/her designee.
- A search will be conducted and may encompass, but not be limited to, the contents of items located within a student’s bag, purse or pocket.
- In the event that a CDS or a weapon is discovered, the student’s parents or guardian will be notified, and the student will be subjected to appropriate disciplinary action. Law enforcement authorities and the district case manager will be notified immediately.
- Staff members are required to follow the appropriate policy:
- Suspicion – Under the Influence of a Controlled Dangerous Substance
- Suspicion – In Possession of a Controlled Dangerous Substance, or
- Suspicion – Transmission and/or Sale of a Controlled Dangerous Substance.